week nineteen

nine recipes made

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Seven.

Another much too late reply but hey, I've learned to live with it. I keep wondering how the hell Julie Powell ever made 524 recipes in one year. The woman must not have a life, because the more I think about the task, the more I realize that it's simply crazy. I can't even seem to do 52 cupcakes in a year - how did she manage? Time to read the book, I'd say.

Anyway, even though there's a hugeeee time-frame in between my posts, I actually made this one rather shortly after the previous post. Like I said, I tried my hand at a big cake. I've never made big cakes before and - even though this is the cupcake project - I really wanted to give it a try (and dessert project just didn't sound as catchy). It turned out pretty good, but I'll pick cupcakes over cakes any day, thanks.

Mocha-chocolate cake.
from "500 taarten & cakes" by Fergal Connoly.

ingredients
250g dark chocolate
170g butter, in cubes
200g fine white sugar
3 large eggs
70g flour
2 spoons of instant coffee, in 2 spoons of boiling water

How? 
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Get a shape ready for the cake and grease it.





Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it together with the butter au bain marie. Let the butter-chocolate
mixture cool of for about five minutes. Mix the sugar through the mixture and add the eggs next. Filter the flour through and, last, add the coffee.



Bake the cake about an hour, the top should be firm but the inside should still be mushy.


 I really liked this cake, actually, it was simple, but the flavour was lovely - the mocha was nice and subtile, not overruling. The inside melts in your mouth, almost like chocolate mousse and in combination with the crispy outside, it's quite tasty. The top of the cake kind of crumbled, so it ended up looking a little weird, but the taste really made up for that.

Next: another big cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment