week nineteen

nine recipes made

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Nine.

And we're back to cupcakes. I don't know, I think cupcakes have more charm than regular cakes. Plus, it's easier to get rid of them in the end. You can take them with you when you're going somewhere, whereas that's harder when you've got an entire cake. I like mini, better.

Lavender-honey cupcakes.
from "500 cakejes" by Fergal Connoly.

ingredients

for the cupcakes:
230g soft butter
230g fine white sugar
230g selfrising flour
4 eggs
1 theespoon vanilla-extracts




for the frosting:
240g fresh cream cheese
300g powdered sugar (filtered)
115g lavender-honey
blue food colorant
2 spoons of dried up lavender

How? 
Preheat the oven to 200°C and get about 18 cupcake-shapes ready.

Mix all the ingredients for the cupcakes to a smooth, pale mixture and fill the cupcake forms. Bake them about twenty minutes and let them cool of for five minutes in the oven before taking them out. I actually mixed the lavender - except for a few pieces I saved for on top of the cupcakes - through the cupcake mix.

For the frosting, mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar until it's light and creamy. Mix the lavender honey thruogh it, and add some drops of colorant.

Decorate the cupcakes with the frosting and the rest of the lavender.



I've never tried anything food with flowers in it. In fact, I even googled lavender to double-check that it's really edible - it just doesn't make sense to me (much like the savoury cupcakes before). Did you know how many flowers are edible? Quite a lot, actually. Anyway, I figured it was worth the shot and that I - probably - wouldn't die if lavender turned out to be not-so-edible-after-all.

The taste is very peculiar, but pretty subtile in the cupcakes. The frosting turned out much, much too runny so I didn't end up using it on all the cupcakes (which is quite a waste..) to avoid sticky situations. They turned out alright, nothing too fancy, but original and definately not poisonate. Hey, I'm still alive to type this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment