week nineteen

nine recipes made

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Wedding.

Today was the big day. Well, not for me, technically, but my first big cupcake project (besides the blog, obviously) was due today, so it was sort of big for me too! 64 cupcakes (I know, weird number, but I had 16 per batch and I did four). And what do you know, people actually liked them! Three cheers for me, and of course, three cheers for the newlyweds: Jakke and Lies!

So, like mentioned before, I used Wilson's Decorative Icing for the topping, which I colored withWilson's food colorant (Kelly Green) and then iced the cupcakes with decorator bag and a closed star tip.

 which gave about this effect:

After that, I added two of the rolled roses to each of the regular cupcakes and one big rose and a heart to the bride and grooms' cupcakes, and last added some edible hearts by rainbow dust, which were really tiny and cute:

I must say it went a lot easier than I had expected, and I'm really quite pleased with the final result.

At the wedding reception we had a home-made cake tower (with plates and glasses) and the effect was really stunning! I got a lot of compliments on how pretty they looked and how good they were (though I have to admit I thought they were a tad bit too sweet) and overall, I'm really pleased and proud of myself!

And once more, congratulations to the happy couple!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Wedding madness, 3.

A quick update!

I'm right on track with all the wedding madness, thank goodness.
The wedding is Tuesday, and right now I have 64 cupcakes, 142
small roses, two big ones and two fondant hearts. I'm doing the
icing on the day itself, Tuesday, so I'll have to work my ass off,
but I'm confident that I'm going to get it all done in time. Plus, my
mom's helping me, so we've got two pair of hands working on it.

Go, go!

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Wedding madness, 2.

Thank. God.

Well, let me just give you a bit of the background info on why I'm really, really happy right now.

When I visited the cupcake shop I talked about in my last blog, the owner told me that you should
probably calculate about two hours for each rose you have to make. Since I had about 50 to 70
roses to make, that did not exactly make me happy.

Anyway, I went back today to buy all my stuff (rolling fondant, icing and food colorant, cupcake
shapes, a silicone roller, and a bag and piece to ice the cupcakes) and I decided to give the roses
a try already.

the fondant

It turned out much better than I initially expected. I suppose the owner of the shop
had another type of rose in mind (bigger or more elaborate, maybe) because me and my mom
rolled fifty roses in just half an hour time. They're drying in an egg box right now, and they look
pretty adorable if you ask me! But hey, feel free to be the judge of that yourself.

 the very first rose

the whole lot so far

We've only finished maybe one fourth of the package, if not one fifth, so we'll have a lot more roses than initially expected. So instead of one I'm going to put two or three roses on each cupcake. I think it'll look 
better in the end anyway. On to the next fifty!

Update: It's day two of rose-folding now, and I have 107 roses finished. I need about 33 more, so I should be finished tomorrow!