week nineteen

nine recipes made

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Three.

First, let me just tell you that I'm really pleased! I was always having issues with my paper cupcake shapes, the dough always made them lose their shapes, which make my cupcakes turn out flat and shapeless, plus, there was always the added risk of them running out of the shapes while baking, resulting into a rescue action performed by dear 'ol me. Not really that handy, let me tell you that. So, I started looking for alternatives and ended up in a local cooking store (Suly's), which had these silicone cupcake forms in all kinds of bright and cheery colors. I have to admit, I was a bit sceptic about sticking silicone in my oven (hello, melting danger), but they were supposed to hold temperatures up til 250°C and they were dishwashable. So, I gave it a try, and hot damn - they're brilliant! I've never had cakes shaped this well!


 So, on to the cupcakes!

Chocolate cupcakes with chilipepper.
from "500 cakejes" by Fergal Connoly.

ingredients
230g of soft butter
230g fine white sugar
175g selfrising flour
4 spoons of cocoa powder (100% cocoa)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
4 eggs (I only used three)
2 teaspoons of grinded chipotlepepper or red chilipowder
100g chocolate drops (pure chocolate)

I actually made them without frosting (it's a buttery sort of frosting and I didn't want them to get bad before they could all be eaten - my family's getting a batch of cupcakes every week, bare with them), but the recipe does include frosting, so if you want to add it, here's the ingredients for that!

300g powdered sugar
45g cocoapowder
3 spoons of tia maria (coffeeliquor, somewhat like Kahlua) 
115g soft butter


How? 
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Mix all the ingredients for the cupcakes without the chocolate drops in a big bowl with a handmixer until it's nice and smooth. Then stir the chocolate drops under it.

Put the cupcakes in the oven and bake about 20 minutes.

Like I mentioned, I only used three eggs, instead of two - the substance seemed well enough after two, so it's best if you add them one by one, to check if it doesn't get too fluid. Instead of an extra egg, I did add one or two spoons of non-fat milk (I saw that on tv, har har). Nothing too hard about it, it went pretty smoothly.



For the frosting, just mix all the ingredients with a handmixer or a foodprocessor and put it on the cakes with a spatula or something when the cupcakes are fully cooled down.

I have to say, they turned out pretty good (my mom called them delicious, though I personally wouldn't go that far), the chili isn't overwhelming, on the contrary... if you don't know it's in there, I don't think you'd know. It has a spicy touch to it, but nothing too prevailing.

1 comment: