week nineteen

nine recipes made

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Fail. I mean, five.

Coffee-raspberry muffins.
from "500 cakejes" by Fergal Connoly.

ingredients
2 spoons of boiling water
2 spoons of instant coffee
1 spoon of milk
115g butter, melted
3 spoons of chopped hazelnuts
400g self-rising flour
300g white sugar
1 spoon baking powder
2 scrambled eggs
3 3/4 dl buttermilk
175g fresh raspberries

How? 
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the coffee in a bowl and pour the hot water on it. Add the milk and the melted butter and stir it through. Let the mixture cool.

In the meanwhile, mix the hazelnuts, flour, baking powder and sugar with a spoon in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, mix the scrambled eggs with the buttermilk with a handmixer for about 2-3 minutes. (it will foam a little). Stir the cooled coffee-mix through it. Then spoon the flour-mix through and mix well. Add the raspberries and stir gently.



Bake the muffins for twenty minutes - though I baked them a lot longer, more like 30, and they were still not the way they were supposed to be. Even though I sticked my fork in it every few minutes, I can't say they're well done. Hence, fail.

The mixture itself required more bowls and more effort than all the others I did so far. Nothing too challenging, just make sure you have a lot of room and a clear head - you'll have enough ingredients bouncing around in your head to have any other thoughts there, trust me. When it was done, I had quite a lot of the mixture, and it was very runny. I was really scared it would run over in my shapes, or not get any shape at all.

The cupcakes did start to get form after a while, though, so all well that ends well, but they should have baked a lot longer then the recipe said. Even when my fork came out completely clean, it wasn't really the way it was supposed to be. The taste is good, the structure? not so much...

On to the next and hoping for a better outcome, there.

PS. I totally forgot the picture when they were ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment